See our Showroom Cam
Get our Hot Tubs Catalog
Request our Catalog and get a $50 coupon
Hot Tubs

Talking old tub has new life.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. ive been reading all posts here gathering as much info as i can.
    i bought a very used snorkel 3x6 a few months ago, it is 18 years old and was at the end of its life cycle. but most of the boards looked good so i was determined to give it a try.
    I sanded the old grey from the staves,ordered six new staves to replace the slightly rotted ones, painted the hoops and put it together, coated the outside with boiled linseed oil and it looks pretty good.
    some of the gaps between the boards looked a little wide to be able to seal , considering the age of the tub. so i decided not to even try letting it swell naturally. instead i ordered 3 tubes of 3m 5200 witch was just barely enough to seal every joint...I gave it almost a month to cure up here in the cold, then installed the tub, benches and all and filled er up.
    it had a few drips around the edges but only lost 2 inches of water over night. it has now been almost a month, the drips have stopped and ive had several soaks, man is that nice..and i just recieved a couple gallons of food grade hydrogen peroxide to start using as sanitizer (any thoughts about the hydrogen per. out there?)
    ill post a couple pics here soon. anyways ...just wanted to put that out there for anyone wondering if new life can be breathed into an old tub......still saving for a new tub someday....hope this one gets me through.....
    your posts here have helped me figure it all out so thanks, and the staff at snorkel was really great when i called with questions, thank you snorkel !!!...i better go stoke that fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0905111857-00.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	65   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1129111541-00.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	66   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0103121556-00.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	67  
    Last edited by edtahoe; 01-16-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: adding photos

Default selling snorkel hot tub

I am currently trying to sell my 1994 vintage hot tub and snorkel stove but am undecided on what I should ask for it. I was thinking 350 for the stove since it seems to be in great condition . I have most of the staves , most of the floor(one piece should probably be replaced) the top is ok but one part has the top layer of wood warped up but it doesn't affect functionality . the fence needs replacing. I also have stove pipe, stove cap, and all 3 hoops. I would greatly appreciate any advice on pricing the tub parts. I want to be fair but also need some money.

Default tub price

well, i can tell ya that i paid 450 for this tub, and put another 200 or so into it, and i am happy with the price now that i am able to soak.
    hope that helps....

Default Interested in buying used snorkel tub

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I am currently trying to sell my 1994 vintage hot tub and snorkel stove but am undecided on what I should ask for it. I was thinking 350 for the stove since it seems to be in great condition . I have most of the staves , most of the floor(one piece should probably be replaced) the top is ok but one part has the top layer of wood warped up but it doesn't affect functionality . the fence needs replacing. I also have stove pipe, stove cap, and all 3 hoops. I would greatly appreciate any advice on pricing the tub parts. I want to be fair but also need some money.
    Hi - I'm interested in buying a used tub - where are you selling from? We're in Southern California.

I too am looking for a used tub. It would have to be located in the midwest, so depending on your location there are a few potential buyers here.

Default Food grade hydrogen peroxide

I use food grade hydrogen peroxide in my tub but its a galvanized steel tank

i use 1/2 cup for 300 gal. I keep for a week then pump in to my veg. garden. they love it hope this helps
    Texican